Do you think you need a Temporary Event Notice for your event?
Temporary Event Notices (TEN) are for small scale events that require authorisation. TEN’s are given to enable licensable activities to take place for one off or occasional events, which are to take place in any premises, open space or temporary structures.
The current fee for a TEN is £21
Does your event qualify for a TEN?
It does if….
- Your event is no-longer than 168 hours (7 days)
- The personal licence holder (as defined under the Act) has not exceeded their personal limits of 50 TEN’s per calender year
- There has been a minimum of 24 hours gap between events given by the same person or associate
- The premises has been given no more than 12 TENS per year or the premises used for more than 21 days per calendar year (a day includes part of a day, so an event running from 6pm on one day until 6am the next is classed as a two day event)
- No more than 499 people are attending your event at any one time (including staff and performers)
- The person ‘an individual’ giving the Temporary Event Notice (who is termed the premises user) is over 18 years old
What is a Premises Licence?
A Premises Licence is used for large events such as fete’s, festivals etc and is used instead if a TEN.
Under the Licensing Act 2003 every premises at which a ‘licensable activity’ takes place must either have a premises licence or temporary event notice. The main licensable activities are as follows:
- Sale by retail of alcohol – both on and off sales – any sale by retail of alcohol, even if not for profit, will be a licensable activity and will require a designated premises supervisor.
- Plays, films, sporting events, live music, dance performance, playing of recorded music (at high volumes). These activities are known as ‘regulated entertainment
- Late Night Refreshment – this means the serving of hot food
If you are involved with organising an outdoor event such as community fete, street fair or music festival then you’ll be keen to ensure that your activities run smoothly and safely. Assistance is at hand via the Mid Suffolk website, click here to find out more!